Top Ten Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Homemade dog food is prepared by you the dog owner from fresh ingredients, meat (chicken, beef, salmon, and vegetables) for complete nutrition. You are in full control of what goes into your dog’s food.
There are a dozen places to get recipes to make homemade dog food. Dog websites are all over the internet, you might know someone who makes homemade dog food, you can buy a handmade dog food recipe book from the local pet supply store.
Why Homemade Dog Food?
A few years ago there was a massive recall of dog food made by a national brand that was manufactured in another country. The outsourced dog food manufacturer had put a chemical in the dog food that was toxic to dogs. Many people lost their best friends because of the tainted food.
That in itself is a good argument for the dog owner to make the dog its meals from fresh, nutritious ingredients. The variety of homemade dog food that can be prepared for one’s pet is endless.
When preparing your dog’s homemade dog food, the meal should a complete balance of the central nutrients.
Animal Protein: (50%) meat, seafood, dairy or eggs.
Carbohydrates: Grains, fruits, and beans (10%).
Calcium: Powdered or crushed eggshells or an added supplement.
Fats And Oils: Canola, olive oil, salmon oil and other healthy types of cooking oil.
What Not to Include In the Homemade Dog Food
Certain foods are toxic to your dogs and should never be given these foods.
- Garlic and onions.
- Grapes and raisins.
- Macadamia nuts.
- Raw bread dough.
Ten Best Homemade Dog Food Recipes
These recipes are nutritious and provide a well-balanced diet for your dog free of additives.
1. Canine Beef Stew
This homemade dog food meal is an alternative to canned that is healthier for your dog.
- 1 Pound beef stew meat.
- 1 Small Sweet potato.
- ½ cup diced carrots.
- ½ cup diced green beans.
- ½ cup flour.
- ½ cup water or organic vegetable oil.
- 1 Tbl spoon vegetable oil for frying.
- Microwave sweet potato 5 to 8 minutes until firm but tender, set aside.
- Cut the pieces of stew meat into smaller pieces.
- Fry the stew meat in a tablespoon of vegetable oil until well done.
- Remove stew meat from pan, save the fryings.
- Dice the sweet potatoes.
- Add flour and water to drippings with a whisk stir the mixture over medium-low heat to make a thick gravy.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, green beans, and meat to the gravy.
- Cook until carrots are tender.
- Let cool and serve.
The homemade dog food can be stored in the fridge for about a week.
2. Dog’s Chili
This is a good source of protein as it has chicken, beans, and vegetables.
What Goes In the Pot:
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 Cup black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 Cup diced carrots.
- ½ Cup tomato paste.
- 4 Cups chicken broth.
- Cut away excess fat and dice chicken breast into 1-inch pieces.
- Over medium-high heat cook chicken until no longer pink.
- Put chicken, beans, carrots, tomato paste, and broth into a large pot and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.
The dog’s chili can be stored for about a week in the fridge.
3. Dog Fruit Parfait
An excellent dessert that packs a protein punch loaded with vitamins.
- ½ cup plain non-fat yogurt.
- ½ Cup diced strawberries.
- ½ Cup blueberries.
- ½ Cup applesauce.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until yogurt is smooth and the fruit mixed in well.
- Feed your dog small amounts and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4. Blackberry Dog Biscuit Treats
This treat is vet-approved and loaded with antioxidants and beats store bought paws down.
- 4 Cups almond flour
- ¾ Cups flax meal
- ½ Cup blackberries
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Use parchment paper and line a cookie sheet
- Put all ingredients into a bowl, add 1 cup of water and mix into a dough
- Roll dough to ¼ inch thick
- Form the biscuits using a cookie cutter.
- Roll the dough again and make more biscuits
- Arrange on a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven
Allow biscuits to cool and serve.
5. Crockpot Chicken
Here is crockpot chicken recipe that will give your dog energy
from the homemade dog food that packed with protein, vitamins, and protein.
- 1 Cup brown rice
- 2 Cups water
- ½ lb. greens, broken into segments
- 1 Medium sweet potato, raw, cut into medium chunks, skin on
- 3 Carrots cut in 1-inch thick rounds
- 2 Skinless chicken breasts, no bones
Layer all ingredients into the crockpot in the order given
- Cook for 8 hours on low, or 5 hours on high
- When cooked, stir, break the chicken into small chunks.
- Serve once cool, the leftovers can refrigerate for about 3 days.
6. Homemade Dog Food: Meatloaf
Just like mom used to make only for your dog.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats (gluten-free, ok)
- 1 ½ cups grated vegetables (use dog’s favorites)
- ½ Cottage cheese
- Oven pre-heated to 350 degrees F
- Hand mix all ingredients, combine thoroughly
- Hand press into a loaf pan
- Bake 40 minutes
Let cool and serve. You can also freeze in slices for easy meals.
7. Turkey, Rice, And Vegetables
This homemade dog food recipe is good for a dog that needs to drop a few pounds.
- 6 Cups of water
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- 2 Cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 Teaspoon dried rosemary
- 16 Ounces of frozen carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli
- In a large dutch oven place water, ground turkey, rosemary and rice
- Break up the ground turkey by stirring until mixed evenly
- On high heat bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes more
- Remove from heat and let cool
Refrigerate and serve meals as needed.
9. Banana Frozen Treats
This is great for cooling your dog off on a hot day.
- 4 Cups plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 Ripe, peeled bananas, mashed
- Puree all ingredients in a blender
- Pour into 4-ounce plastic cups
Serve when needed and will keep for about two weeks.
9. Salmon Patty Dinner
Rich in protein this is a very nutritious homemade dog food meal to feed Fido.
- 1 Can salmon, drained
- 1 Medium carrot
- 1 Potato
- 1 Egg
- 1 Stalk celery
- 3 Teaspoons flour
- Oil for frying
Chop carrots, potatoes, and celery into bite-sized chunks
- Mix salmon with flour and egg
- Form salmon mixture into patties
- Fry in oil until golden brown
- Stir-fry the vegetables about 5 to 8 minutes
Let cool and serve salmon patties with a side of vegetables.
10. Homemade Dog Food Vegetable Smoothies
This is an excellent treat for your dog but serve the smoothies about every three days or so.
¼ Combine carrots, squash, green beans, spinach, and zucchini squash
- ¼ Cups apples, peaches, bananas and pears
- ¼ Cup juice but never grape juice
- 4 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
Once you get used to preparing homemade dog food, you will have the best-fed dog in the neighborhood. You will also have the healthiest dog in town.